top of page

U-Visa & VAWA

U nonimmigrant status is a nonimmigrant (temporary) status that allows non-citizen victims of crime to stay in the United States, obtain employment authorization, apply for lawful permanent resident (LPR) status, and help certain family members obtain immigration status as well.


The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), you may be eligible to become a lawful permanent resident if you are the victim of battery or extreme cruelty committed by:

  • A U.S. citizen spouse or former spouse;

  • A U.S. citizen Parent;

  • A U.S. citizen son or daughter;

  • A lawful permanent resident (LPR) spouse or former spouse;

  • An LPR parent.

Police Cars

The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. If you want more information please call us for a consultation to 847.428.3682 or email

bottom of page